Wednesday, October 28, 2009

HP MIE for Everyone! CrunchBang MIE


I was browsing around LXer and Linux Today, so I don't even remember where I read an article stating that HP had removed HP Mini MIE downloads on the same day that Windows 7 was launched. So I panicked and started thinking about an idea i had a while back, HP Mini MIE on a Live CD. Now I had no clue how to start, but my encounter with CrunchBang left a sweet taste in my mouth. To make a very long story relatively short, I spent last night installing CrunchBang mini edition in VirtualBox and following the instructions here to get Harbour Launcher and all the other HP Mini MIE interface running. I did also have to install some gnome stuff, because the interface is tied into gnome. Any way the result was a 590MB iso that looks like so, mind you this is in virtualbox, so resolution was off a bit. I'm new to all this, so at the moment it starts off in openbox, and i have to execute "harbour-launcher" in the command line. After Harbour Launcher loads, I have to go into "Settings", select "Appearance", and select "Glassy-Bleu". I tested this in virtualbox, on my desktop, and on my HP dv2125nr. Everything is working, but I am experiencing random crashes. I do still have to load my alternate themes, and I hope to be able to script this auto launch correctly. I did create this iso with remastersys and used the dist option, so you should be able to install this on a pretty low end system, but my virtual machine has 512 MB of ram. If any one is interested in this project please let me know I'm not too sure of the legality of it all, but I don't want to see this awesome UI just left to die.

[Update]

I was able to create a MIE Live CD with my themes pre-installed. I am still not sure how to get it to automagically launch Harbour Launcher upon boot up, but i'm not sure if this isn't a blessing in disguise. If i leave it as is the disc could serve as a multipurpose disc. Come on we all know it's good to have a rescue disc around. Maybe I'll just add harbour launcher to the menu, and a person could choose to launch it. If anyone has ideas of what else i should include please let me know. I think this last build was 606 MB big.

[Update 2]

I came across that blog again people it can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment