Sunday, June 14, 2009

How to: Change Your Mini MIE Theme


Well it has been a very fun weekend for me, but it's finished. After a few minutes of playing with my Mini MIE VM I'm done. I like gdebi, but you can do this however you want. My intent when i started the theming project was to try to make themes that just worked. Unfortunately things don't work out as planned all the time. HP Mini MIE user hold "Alt+F2" and get your hands on that command line. Type "xterm", and here we go.

1) sudo apt-get install gdebi

2) Go here and get gtk-theme-switch 2, the dependencies are already met, so just get the i386 version at the bottom there. There was a message about the same package already in repos, but I wanted to stay away from the repos if i could, but try it if you like.

3) untar your new theme to /usr/share/themes/

4) Thanks to this guy we get "gtk-theme-switch2 /usr/share/themes/YOURTHEMEHERE" no quotes.

5) Now type "gconf-editor" go to apps->metacity->general. Scroll down to the theme option, double click, and type the name of the theme here. In my example "Tam_MIE".

That's it changing the theme is complete. I know its a little involved, but it really is not bad at all. Especially if you're just going to change it once in a while.

It looks pretty funny, but my display could only go be at its lowest resolution. Again I didn't really care to make the VM look good. Well i hope someone finds it helpful, it really was alot of fun for me, I didn't know what the HECK I was doing. Again if anyone is interested feel free to email me for your copy of a theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment