Monday, June 22, 2009

Linux in the Future

If anyone has read my profile, I claim to be "an escaped test monkey from the future". It's not too far off, but the truth is I'm not from the future. I've been thinking for a while about the "Year of Linux". Quite frankly, I think we missed it. There were articles in the late 90's that the future of computers was not in a boring office, but rather in the dynamic corner of the home known as the "living room". Both Microsoft and Apple took a shot at conquering your living room, but it didn't work. I think Apple still has the itv thing, but I have never seen one in anyone's living room. The strange thing is that Linux pulled a Houdini on us all. I signed up for a cable subscription, and suddenly Linux was in my "living room". Not only did it suddenly show up, but it managed to attach itself to my first true love, my television. Now i know it is only Linux in an embedded form, in my DVR, but Linux all the same. There are a new generation of televisions on the market that have all the capabilities of a DVR already built in to them. So that means even more linux devices will be out there. Now since we have all of the troops already in the trojan horse, maybe its time to spring the trap. In the very near future I see a new network emerging that will give us an ability to connect all of these devices, and use them right from our desktops. How awesome would it be to start a pot of coffee right from your desktop. Manage your DVR, from anywhere. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I know that there are techno geeks that would love more options in there lives. Our current main focus maybe desktop computing, but I have a feeling that new devices and appliances will be the inroad for linux dominance.

No comments:

Post a Comment