Saturday, June 13, 2009

Running HP Mini MIE Inside VirtualBox

Virtualbox HP Mini MIE
As I posted a while back I am very new to all of this stuff, but I try. After a long night, I managed to kind of get HP Mini MIE installed in VirtualBox. If you'd like to get as far as i got, this is how I did it. Needed is the newest VirtualBox, the HP Mini MIE .img file, a USB drive (not sure whats recommended mine is 4GB), and Imagewriter. Sorry if i don't add links to it all, but I'm tired. Make sure you can mount USB into VirtualBox, System>Administration>Users and Groups, highlight your profile, and click unlock. Click Properties, then go to Privileges Tab. Scroll to the bottom, and make sure "Use Virtualbox" is checked.

1) Use Imagewriter to get the .img onto your USB

2) Use "VBoxManage convertfromraw -format VDI dennis-stable-install-usb-gm-1.img MiniMIE.vdi" no quotes of course. This makes your .img VirtualBox ready.

3) Start VirtualBox, and make your new Virtual Machine. Make a primary master partition (Used 8GB), and add MiniMIE.vdi as a primary slave.

4) Start your new Machine, make sure to hit F12 and select boot from Primary Slave , option 2. Also under Devices>USB>Select Your USB. This will mount your USB into the VirtualMachine. Watch the install happen.

After it installs things get weird. I think it has to do with the whole lpia thing. I don't rightly know, but anyways I would appreciate any help anyone could give. This whole adventure is to try and see if the "gnome-appearance-properties" command works on the HP Mini MIE. If you have better luck with your attempt please let me know where i went wrong.

UPDATE: Xorg needs to be tweaked, but I made some ground check out my screenshot.

UPDATE2: Ok I kind of know whats going on, but I don't know how to fix it. My Virtual Machine does not see a network connection, and I can't "Install Guest Additions" because i can't apt-get dependencies, there are a few. My xserver is runnung but in a limited space. If anyone could send some tips my way it would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty sure my wife has contacted a divorce lawyer by now, just kidding, but I'm desperate to get this darn thing conected to the net. So i can apt-get "break my system".

UPDATE3: Ok i have network connection! Even after an update i was unable to get the video and sound working, but that doesn't matter to me. I used the "pcnet32.ko" from Ubuntu Remix to get my wifi installed. "depmod -ae pcnet32.ko" and then edited /etc/modules with a "pcnet32" entry. rebooted, and wifi came to life. I'm sure you could do something similar for both video and sound, but thats not my concern. I went through all this troble to try and figure out a solution for installing alternate themes. It was alot of fun, Oh BTW happy fathers day to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment